Traditionally, companies have based their organization on hierarchy, with a clear differentiation between positions and responsibilities. But society has changed and the way of working too. Today the figure of the “boss” has been left behind and what is sought is responsible for work teams that are capable of exercising good leadership .
A change in the hierarchical relationship has been shown to lead to happier and more motivated employees , which in turn has a positive impact on the productivity of companies. But what exactly is leadership and what defines a good leader? That is what we are going to see today.
What is leadership and why is it so important?
We can say that a boss commands and a leader sets an example and guide, and from here we can extract the definition of leadership. It is a set of capacities and abilities that allow a person to influence the way of acting and / or thinking of others .
The leader does not impose the change through an order, but with his way of acting he gets his work team to face its tasks in the best possible way and thus achieve the objectives set.
The true importance of leadership is that it is essential to the survival of any business . If there is no one capable of guiding the employees, the goals will never be achieved.
Types of business leadership
- Laissez-faire or let-go leadership: here the leader has the utmost confidence in his team and therefore gives his employees as much freedom as possible. You can advise or guide, but in no case do you impose your criteria.
- Democratic leadership : in this case the leader flees from authoritarianism and always takes into account the opinions of his employees. Seeks the maximum involvement of the work team, even if decision-making falls directly on him.
- Autocratic leadership : it is the one that has prevailed for decades. The best example is the uncompromising boss who spends the day giving orders and never listens to his subordinates.
- Transactional leadership : this formula seeks employee motivation through direct reward. For example, handing out a bonus after successfully completing a project.
- Transformational Leadership : puts employees at the center of everything, realizing that transformation and success depend entirely on employee commitment to the company. In this form of leadership, communication is much more fluid and the principle of trust is given more importance than that of control.
The characteristics of a good leader
- He is an optimistic and positive person.
- Act honestly.
- He knows how to delegate.
- Encourage communication at all levels.
- He is able to inspire and motivate his subordinates.
- Bet on conciliation.
- He knows how to align his team so that it is oriented towards the achievement of a goal.
- Recognize a job well done and small achievements.
- It encourages the personal and professional development of your team.
- He is able to influence others without giving orders.
- Encourage good habits.
- He remains neutral and never shows favoritism.
The benefits of good business leadership
Having a good leader at the head of a work team is something that has very positive consequences for the employees and, therefore, also for the company.
A good leader is able to keep employees motivated , which reduces absenteeism and job turnover rates . This helps increase productivity and reduce expenses associated with personnel management.
It contributes to improving the image of the company both inside and outside it, which in turn helps to attract and retain talent and to get more clients. In short, having a good leader can be a great competitive advantage for a company .
Leadership is key to the success of any business today. Therefore, if you are thinking of changing the structure of your company, be very clear about this concept and make sure that you become the leader that your work team needs .